How do we go about this?

It has been a long time since the last triplog entry and not much has happened.  Basically, we’re waiting.

In Colorado, most real estate transactions use a standard state-approved contract that specifies a due date for various events.  For example, there is a due date for the home inspection, loan approval, appraisal, etc.  So far, all parties to the transaction have performed well before the due dates and everything seems to be moving along nicely.

In the meantime, we have been going to the gym every other day for our workout and filling in the rest of the time with meaningless chores that we pretend are important.  Problem is, until escrow closes there just isn’t a lot we can do ahead of time.  Sell the coach?  Nope, we need a place to live.  Move our stuff?  Nope, nowhere to store it.   Turn on utilities?  Nope, we have to wait until the sellers place their service cancellation orders.  For all our worrying and waiting, all we have to show for it is a new cordless telephone and wireless router, both of which are still sealed in their boxes.

At least we have time to think through our next steps.  The close of escrow will set into motion a chain of events which includes the sale of the motorhome and moving our stuff.

Regarding the sale of the coach, the key questions are what it is worth and who will buy it.  After some research on the internet, we have a general idea of what it is worth, both wholesale and retail.  Of course, we can make more money selling it ourselves, but we need it to live in.  Even trickier, we’re sitting in Colorado with a motorhome registered in California and I have no idea how to transfer title.  In fact, there is no title document.  The California DMV issued a ‘paperless title’, which means title is just some record in the DMV database.  Throw in a lien holder and an out-of-state purchaser and you have a recipe for legal disaster.  We need to think long and hard about this.

Regarding the move, we got some quotes from moving companies and felt they were way high.  Having dealt with movers before because of job transfers, we know how the scam works.  You call the moving company and based on an informal conversation, they give you an estimate.  However, what you REALLY pay is based on the actual weight after the truck is loaded.  Of course, once the truck is loaded and weighed, it ALWAYS exceeds the estimate and the price is adjusted accordingly.  At the end of the day, we guess the movers will charge $5,500, but it could very likely be more.  After a lot of discussion, we concluded all those mornings spent in the gym should count for something, like a do-it-yourself move.  We’ve moved ourselves before, when we were 20 years younger, but the prospect of saving $3,000 is just too tempting.  After a little research and a few calls, we arranged to rent a truck from Penske.  Family will help us load in California and we will hire temps to unload in Colorado.  All this was done while my little voice was warning me of a self-inflicted disaster.  We’ll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

You learn things driving around the country.  On our travels, we began to notice the number of U-Haul trucks broken down on the roadside.  Clearly, there was a pattern: renting a U-Haul truck is risky.  However, we never saw a Penske truck drooling coolant by the side of the road so we decided to check them out.  A visit to the local Penske yard impressed us.  The equipment was new and well maintained and although it cost a little more, the last thing we wanted was to break down in the Mojave Desert somewhere between Barstow and Baker.

The news from California regarding Jeanne’s aunt CeeCee is not good.  Without going into a lot of detail, CeeCee has been hospitalized to treat a series of problems.  The family has gathered in California, but we’re stuck here in Colorado because of the home purchase.  We are obligated to meet contract deadlines and certain documents require our original signatures.  Until we get escrow papers to sign, we’re stuck and Jeanne is wracked with guilt.  As reports of her condition change, we are constantly playing what-if with contingency plans.  We certainly want to be with CeeCee and the family during this difficult time, but it just isn’t going to work out.